History

The Northeastern Women’s Golf Association was founded in 1929. Its purposes were to further the advancement of the game of golf, to recognize and develop skilled amateur women golfers, to promote good sportsmanship and friendly rivalry among members, and to foster the best traditions of the game of golf.

The six founding clubs Albany Country club, Colonie Country Club, Mohawk Golf Club, Schuyler Meadows Club, The Country Club of Troy and Wolferts Roost Country Club. Today we have over 24 golf clubs which are members and host our tournaments.

NEWGA is an organization of accomplished women golfers that offers many opportunities to play a round of golf on great area golf courses while meeting fellow golfers. It is also about competition, choice and camaraderie. Competition in a field of women golfers, flighted by handicap index, playing a golf course the best, they can, in a fair and friendly competitive environment. Players have the opportunity to play various courses throughout our golf season while choosing from the many formats offered (individual stroke play, team events, better ball, match play, scrambles or shambles or Chapmans as well as a mixed event). But most of all NEWGA is about camaraderie among women golfers. Friendships develop among competitors while recognizing skill and achievement – ALL FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME.

At Northeastern Women’s Golf Association, we say “GOLF IS OUR PASSION”.